What is sodium and what is table salt?
Sodium is a mineral that is naturally present in the composition of various foods, such as red meat and milk. It also participates in the composition of preservatives such as nitrates and nitrites, cyclamate and sodium saccharin sweeteners, yeasts (baking soda) and flavor enhancers such as monosodium glutamate.Already the kitchen salt is sodium chloride (NaCl), which has sodium in its composition. However, it is necessary to multiply the sodium value by 2.5. Example: If on the food label is written 1000mg of sodium this corresponds to 2.5g of sodium chloride (the cooking salt).
The vast majority of people think they consume little, but the reality is that sodium consumption in Brazil remains at levels above the maximum recommendation for this nutrient, so that reducing its consumption in Brazil is one of the federal government strategies. to cope with chronic diseases such as high blood pressure and cardiovascular diseases.
To be able to control its consumption we can keep changes in the eating routine that can prevent us from many problems that come from overeating. Patience is needed to decrease sodium, because our tongue is “addicted” to stimuli, that is, the saltier we get used to, the more we want. We are losing the sensitivity of the flavors in our taste buds, so invest in this change and know that it can be regained.
Below we list 7 strategies that should be done daily:
• Avoid all sodium-rich products such as sausages (ham, bologna, sausages, etc.), sweeteners (cyclamate and saccharin and light or diet products such as soda, gelatin, puddings, candies), glutamate products (ready-made broths, soy sauce, ready soups, ready dishes, sauces, seasoning envelopes).
• It is also good to avoid very salty meats such as cod, beef jerky, jerky and smoked.
• Do not put salt shakers on the table.
• Have bowls of fresh spices (basil, rosemary, sage, oregano, parsley). Fresh seasoning should be placed at the end of the preparation as it loses its aromas.
• Have a good olive oil
• Always use natural seasonings – onion, garlic, chives, ginger, cloves, cinnamon and those described above.
• Exchange common salt with 0% sodium seasonings, or pink or sea salt.